The supply of electricity plays an important role in Zanzibar’s Strategy for Growth and Reduction of Poverty. Currently, Zanzibar Electricity Cooperation (ZECO), which is a vertically integrated utility, wholly owned by the Government supplies most of the electricity in Zanzibar but the conditions in the country show great potential for renewable energy such as wind and solar.
ZURA’s regulation of the electricity sector includes, among other things:
- Issuing licenses
- Formulating and enforcing codes and standards
- Reviewing and setting electricity rates and charges
- Approving Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs)
- Ensuring security of supply and energy efficiency
- Promoting effective competition and economic efficiency.